Singular iOS Uninstall tracking is available with Singular iOS SDK 8.X and above and an app update is required.
Start tracking uninstalls for your iOS app with a few simple steps:
1) Integrate or update to Singular iOS SDK 8.X
Uninstall tracking is available in iOS SDK version 8.X and above. For instructions on upgrading your SDK, review our iOS SDK integration guide.
2) Update your iOS app to support Apple push notifications and pass the APNS device token to the Singular SDK
If this is your first time setting up push notifications for your iOS app, please see Apple's documentation here. Once your app supports Apple push notifications, you can follow our iOS SDK implementation guide here, to enable the Singular SDK to track uninstalls.
Important: By enabling Apple push notifications for your application, the end-user of your app will be prompted with an opt-in/out dialogue. This is a required by Apple for apps using Apple push notification services. This also means that Singular will only track your users who have opted in for push notifications. In the future, Singular will support the ability to track how many of your installed users are eligible for uninstall tracking.
3) Add your Apple Push Notification Certificate to your iOS application page in Singular.
Singular requires an Apple Push Notification Certificate to enable uninstall tracking for iOS. Follow the steps below to retrieve your certificate and upload it into Singular.
- Create and download an Apple Push Notification SSL certificate.
In your Apple developer account, navigate to "Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles", to "Identifiers", and "App IDs". In your "Application Services View", you can configure push notifications for both your Development and Production builds. Please note, while you can use your Development certificate for your own internal testing, Singular uninstall tracking requires the Production SSL certificate to be used with your live app.
- Generate a PEM (.p12) file from your Keychain
After you've downloaded your certificate, double-click on it to add it to your Mac Keychain, where it is paired with a private key.
Select both the certificate and private key, right click and export to a .p12 file with a meaningful name.
- Upload your .p12 file into your iOS apps' application page under Uninstall Tracking, and enter in the password for your .p12 certificate from above.
A few important points to keep in mind:
- Singular use of Apple push notification services does not actually cause a push notification to appear for the end-user
- Uninstall tracking is only available for users who have enabled push notifications for your app
- Uninstalls are tracked as events in Singular and as a result do not remove the attribution link from the originating Install or Re-engagement source. This may result in uninstall rates of higher than 100%, since a user may uninstall an app multiple times in their lifetime.